Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Gates Foundation gave money to Bangkok Public Library

I found a sentence from Thai news about the current Books Fair at QSNCC today, indicating that BMA (Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) 's Public Library branch at Lumbhini Park would get a financial support from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The renovated branch would then serve as a show-case model for other branches later, perhaps city-wide and then country-wide.
This is a big issue for me, since I personally think Thailand needs to have more local district libraries with better book collections. (My personal collection might be bigger and of superior quality than those of many districts' libraries.) For the given grant, I think it 's good news that we are getting something back for billions of Baht that Thailand has paid to MicroSoft 's legal softwares, some money of which ended up to the Gates and eventually to the Foundation. I 'd like to record my appreciation to the Foundation here, on behalf of fellow Thai people, although I am a Mac user.

Update: A few weeks after this post, Thai news sources indicated that the donation was via MicroSoft Thailand. I think it 's tricky way that they did this. The money donated via the Foundation might be tax deductable in the US for Microsoft. And in Thailand, the same money channeled thru MicroSoft Thailand might also be tax deductable for MicroSoft Thailand. Double whammy. Tax break for 2 countries: if my speculation is correct. This is a smart move for M$.

No comments: