Monday, May 07, 2012

The real Visak day is in May not June

During my meditation this morning, my mind remembered that 2 days ago was Vesak day, what we call วิสาขบูชา in Thai language. It is on the 15th waxing-moon night, or the full moon night of the sixth lunar calendar, usually in May of the solar calendar. Over 26 centuries ago, Prince Sidhartha was born in 80 B.B.E. , then became enlighten when he was 29 years old, and entered Parinirvana (passed away) when he was 80 years old, on this very important same lunar date but in different years.  So the important date is the waxing full moon night of the 6th lunar calendar. It has been like that since I remember from my childhood.

Makapuja day is on the full moon night of the third lunar month. Asarnhapuja is in the eight lunar month.

There is only one problem for lunar calendar. Every four years, there is one leap year. And in that case, Asarnhapuja day has been moved forwarded one month, into the so called second eight lunar month. (I guess they don't want to call it the ninth month to avoid confusion of having 13 lunar months in leap year.)

But this leap year, as far as I notice is weird. All the Thai calendar move not only Asarnhapuja day, but also Makapuja day, and Visak day, one month forward as well.  I don't know why "they" do it. Nor do I know who "they" are.

Many of the Buddhist monks I revered don 't change their Vesak and Makapuja dates after the schedules in this leap year calendar. They sticked to the traditional 6th lunar month for Vesak and the 3rd month for Makapuja. So I can't help but make a note here in my blog about this.

As far as I am concerned, I will stick to my master monk, who regard the Vesak as in the 6th lunar month, i.e. just 2 days ago. Others can choose next month date as they wish.

No comments: