Monday, June 04, 2007

Thai agency promotes Open Office usage

A major R&D and granting agency of Thailand, NSTDA, has recently started promoting the use of open source softwares, notably the Open Office suite, witin its organization of few thousand strong researchers. The purpose is to reduce the cost of commercial software licenses and to prevent any use of unauthorized copied softwares. Training courses have been regulary organized.

This is good news. I myself have been using open offices for years. With the current use of Mac platform, I mainly use NeoOffice which is quite satisfactory. For my Ubuntu linux box, I intend to use only text editor, such as emacs instead since I found there are some display differences, i.e. different font sizes, when transfer documents between Mac 's NeoOffice and Linux 's Open Office.

No comments: